We didn't officially take Spring Break since we will be strolling the streets of Disneyland in our shorts and sunglasses while all the other children are being tortured under fluorescent lights, chewing on the eraser of a #2 pencil. Nothing but cafeteria Sloppy Joes and the promise of recess to ease their pain. You can't take Spring Break off and then another week off right after. Life is good, but not that good. At least not at the Ruff Academy. So while our friends relaxed, we continued to hit the books, and cram about 9 million other things in {all while T was missing for the week}. The kids barely endured the mental torment of knowing their buddies were sleeping in and kicking back. I think I heard "but this isn't fair!" 82 times, to which I replied "you know what also isn't fair? That we'll be eating churros, swimming, and riding rides while all of those unfortunate souls suffer at school!" I also did what any self-respecting mom would do, I bribed them. I bribed them with ice cream, camp-outs on my bedroom floor, buying the movie Frozen, and frequent reminders that we had friends coming over all week, just after we finished school.... I had said to so many friends when asked about getting together, "let's shoot for Spring Break!" And this so called "break" indeed came, so we made good on some promises. The week started with one of Ella's gal pals here for a sleepover. They were up till 2 am, no problem since I was up anyway, but was quite the way to kick-start a Monday. Then we had play dates here almost every day of the week, and last but not least, we had family come into town. My parents rolled into the driveway as I was literally putting the vacuum away since our final round of lunch guests left about 45 minutes prior. It was the last bit of a crazy-fast race to restore the house to order after 7 kids did their damage, as they should. That's what play dates are for. And boy was I happy to see my Mom and Dad. They brought with them the promise of a night out, sweet music to my tired, frazzled little ears. It was my Mom's birthday, and my Dad offered to watch the kids until Todd's plane came in so that my Mom, Sis and I could go out. So within an hour or so of them arriving, and after a quick swap out of my clothes that were covered in lunch preparation, melted chocolate, and pee {one of our little friends had an accident}, us "big girls" peeled out of the driveway like bats out of heck, and were off antiquing, shopping, and eating our night away. Blissful, sweet, glorious goodness. And then the next day things got even better, Meagan and Aaron came! We had a BBQ with the fam to celebrate my Mom, and cupcakes and a firepit in between the rain that doomed the outdoor party I'd set up for her. It was a crazy-busy week, but was well worth it to enjoy a lot of our favorite people. I must've sent out the "I'm fried" vibe into the universe because I was randomly spoiled by friends with daffodils, See's candy, homemade bread, and even a free caramel Frappuccino when a complete stranger paid for mine in the drive-thru at Starbuck's.
If our fake Spring Break was this good, I'm ready for the real thing!
If our fake Spring Break was this good, I'm ready for the real thing!
This almost happened. Todd has no idea how close we came to having a new puppy. I even thought about how I'd explain it...welcome-home-we-got-a-puppy-how-was-your-trip?!!!
So apparently on Wednesdays it's BOGO sundaes. So I looked like Mom of the Year, and little did they know it didn't cost me any more than getting each of them a kid's scoop. I love when I can 'fake it till I make it" to being a real Mom of the Year.
My pancake making pal.
Picnic lunch and play date with the McLaughlin boys.
Our sacred girl time has begun. My Mom's birthday hand treatment at Aveda.
Goofing off at the mall, the only place you can pass 20 teenagers taking selfies. When in Rome...;)
Dinner date!
Wild Sage, oh how I love you!
My Mom's 40th! Yes, she had me when she was 3.
Aaron rocking the Woody mug with his adorable side-kicks.
Todd can't cook anything but toast, but he can BBQ!
Mitch and Maggin. Mitchy says they belong together cuz they both start with "M"
1 comment:
You are such a fun Mom! Can I come live at your house? The Mom that lives here isn't near as much fun.
Post a Comment