5.12.2012

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents." Emilie Buchwald

There's a lot about this whole parenting thing that I completely suck at. But one thing I think we got right is that we have read to our kids since they were babies. Not one book a day, or just a bed time, but honestly it is one of the things that I will drop just about anything for ~ to read to my kids. If they bring me a book and want to snuggle with me and read, then that's exactly what we do. We have a no TV rule on weekdays so it really forces us to read a lot. They love books, we have them in pretty much every room of the house. They think going to the library is like going to the candy store. I brace myself when we have to use the book drop at our little library, because they know that means we are returning books but not getting books, and the screeching and howling ensues. On this Saturday, Todd and I were working in the yard and came in to see all of the kids reading books, I zoomed in and snapped a few pictures before they noticed me. I love that Ella was reading to Dawson, and she was very into character, reading with a lot of passion and enthusiasm. Of course Dawson was sucking his thumb and soaking it all in. The babies were "reading" too, I just loved seeing all four of them lined up, barefoot, books in hand. 

No comments: