I finally have an update about our nephew, Adam. Sorry it's been a while, I know a lot of you have been asking how he is and if there is any news. Things got a little scary before they got better, and I didn't want everyone to worry. I was worried enough to go around. Here's the scoop: Adam's oncologist's lab found that the margins of his tumor weren't clear, there was some perineural infiltration. Never good news to hear that the margins aren't clear. So he had to go in for a barium swallow, and CT with IV contrast. Poor guy:(
The results were supposed to be in on a Friday at best, "not to worry" though if not in until Tuesday. It was a couple of days past so my sister called and was told that his results were in, but the doctor reading them was talking with another colleague about them. Again, I took this as bad news but was trying not to worry until we knew for sure. "Trying" being the operative word. From the beginning my worry has been for Adam of course, but just as much, or even more, for my sister. As a Mom, I know that without a doubt, she would've rather been given a cancer diagnosis herself than to have one of her children go through this. My heart has been aching for her, and this waiting phase had to be unbearable at times. But finally they got word that he is cancer free! Thank you God, best news ever for our family. Thank you for your prayers, I know my sister, Todd's brother, and Adam appreciated it more than you know. And through it all he's kept his sense of humor. In the first week or so after we found out, all of us were treading lightly, not really sure what to say to each other and to him. We were sad and in shock, but didn't want him to know we were sad, but didn't want him to think we weren't sad. Know what I mean?! Anyway, he kept telling his sisters things like "I have cancer, get me a Coke" or "I have cancer, make me a hamburger!" He cracks me up. Ella topped it off with a super appropriate comment, yelling out to him as he left our house "have fun with your cancer!!" Oh my gosh, if I could've crawled into a hole I would have. Not very humorous when we didn't know how things were going to go at this point. We had a little talk with Ella about what is considered funny and what isn't when someone is facing a possible life threatening disease. Luckily Steph and Dave have a good sense of humor and said it's actually been the running joke at the house. When they would get depressed or worried they would bust out and say "have fun with your cancer!" Adam had an appointment with his oncologist again today, he will be have to be tested every 6 months for 5 years, then every year for 5 more years. Wish this was the end of it, but also glad Dr. Anthony is keeping a close eye on our Adam.
Adam,You are so precious to us. I've adored you ever since all 10 and a half pounds of you came into this world. You made me an Auntie, you made my one and only sister a Mama. You have always had thee sweetest heart on earth and I love you so much. You have no idea what happened to my heart when I heard this news about you, first the bad, then the good news that you'd be okay. Amazing how quickly pain and worry and sadness can be replaced with relief and joy. Praying that God watches over your body, and that you live to be a wrinkly old man. I know you will as long as you quit eating Skittles and Coke like they're a food group. Although it's been working for me for 35 years;)
Love you forever,
Auntie L
No comments:
Post a Comment