3.20.2013

Lottery Barn

We ordered a wall sconce on clearance from Pottery Barn months ago thinking we were close to getting our master bedroom finished. Once we got to putting up lighting, we realized the fixture wouldn't work, not enough clearance with the linen closet door. So we took it back and since it was way past the time frame they allow for cash refunds, they said that Pottery Barn would issue us a gift card through the mail. I was a little annoyed because we don't need anything from Pottery Barn, but we do need a light fixture to replace the one that didn't work, so wished we didn't have a semi-useless gift card while still having to put out money again for a sconce. So...about a week later we received the gift card in the mail, only it's for way more than it was supposed to be. Like way more. As in they owed us 54 bucks and they gave us a gift card for 280 bucks. So then I was a little annoyed again because I was going to have to either bring it back to the store, or call and wait on hold to talk to someone about the mistake and what to do with it while the kids screeched in the background. Well, I called and told the lady the situation: "we were issued a gift card for way more than we were owed, so wasn't sure what to do with it. Do you guys want to cancel the card and then send a new one, do I mail it back, do I just use $54 worth of it and destroy it??" She said "how 'bout just go shopping with it?!" I laughed and said "that sounds great, but seriously, it's over 200 dollars more than you owe us!" She said "well, be happy and have fun shopping with it then!" I asked her about 3 more times if that was okay and she told me to just use the card, it was no big deal. Yipee! Stealing money without the guilt, my favorite kind of stealing;) So it was my lucky day, time to pick out one of those unnecessary things that the Pottery Barn catalog is full of. Hmm, what don't I need but would love to have... a different light for the dining room! It's really cute and suits the room more than the other one, it was really over-sized for the space and sort of had a Tuscan vibe, not quite right for our little cottage. And we just sold the old light on Craig's List for 90 bucks, if only all transactions were this lucrative;)

No comments: