11.12.2013

Harvesting Memories

We went up to Green Bluff a bazillion times this fall, that is my default when we're bored {aka don't want to fix stuff around the house or do yard work} and don't know what to do. Todd gave me such a hard time when I said, completely serious and with no intention of trying to be funny, that "we should go to the Bluff this weekend to harvest apples and pumpkin donuts." Harvest donuts?! Apparently when apples and pumpkins are "on" so is my donut radar. The kids had fun doing some of the ridiculously expensive rides the last time we went up. I told them if they saved enough in their marble jar, they could earn a trip through the maze, bouncy house, and wiggly train. We use a marble jar/golden ticket jar for good behavior during school, and they each earned 25, which was impressive considering most days it's two-marbles-in, one-marble-out, over and over... We also investigated the bees making honey at Hansen's, probably my favorite farm on the Bluff just because they are SO stinking nice. And that is where we discovered the BiGgEsT apple known to man. Seriously was the size of Mitchy's head. Another time we took a hay ride, which I haven't done since I was a little person. Well, a child, guess I'm still a little person. It was such a pretty day and I had created a perfect  plan in my head: Get there right when they start up the hay rides for the day so it would just be our family, climb on the wagon with a bag of hot donuts in hand, and enjoy the beautiful farm land, the sound of the horses hooves, the sunlight warming our backs while breathing in the crisp air....Sounded like a lovely way to end the weekend before Todd left on a business trip. It was all perfect until the random horse hay ride lady person decided to come with us on our romantical family hay ride, and proceeded to yack our ears off for 20 minutes about stupid horse facts. Horse facts that we know darn well since we had horses for years. Oh well, at least we had a $10 bag of donuts. That's right folks, 10 bucks for 12 donuts. Judge not lest you be judged. The Rufflings were a little offended that we never picked pumpkins because our cute little garden had plenty, which was perfect because then we had money for even more donuts. I hate saying goodbye to Green Bluff for the long winter, although I always know that means that sparkly snow and Christmas are just around the corner...
Hope you're having a Happy Fall Y'all!

No comments: