7.01.2011

Last day in the 1st grade

I am so behind on blogging, and even though I'm dying to post the twins' birthday pictures, and pictures of my cousins' visit, and beach vaca pictures... I will exercise some self-control and try to catch up first.
Our Bean is done with 1st grade and Todd and I both agree, it just doesn't even seem real. Honestly, time goes by so quickly these days, every year passes faster then the one before. And somehow we find ourselves at the end of another school year. I was just getting the hang of it, it was just starting to feel sorta normal to have her gone all day, to have math homework done by Friday, chapel shirts and library books on Friday, gym shoes on Monday and Wednesday...and now it's over. Ella has really worked hard this year, and has grown and changed so much. She's learned how to add 3 digit numbers with 3 digit numbers, she's lost a bucket load of teeth, she's figured out how to keep the boys from putting her in "the corner of shame" at recess {which by the way, she secretly likes}, she had her first hot lunch, she borrowed crutches from a friend, got a string of "yellow cards" in the first few weeks followed by "SuPeR days!" for the months and months that followed. She had her first hurt feelings, her first presentation, and her first struggles with school work. But she finished like a champ, and enjoyed another year with classmates she's had since pre-school. I am always a tad bit shocked to hear how sweet and obedient and thoughtful she is at school, it's not quite like the sassy version we get at home. She is loved there, she loves it there. We were blessed and grateful to be able to send her again this past year. Here are some pictures of her last couple of days in the 1st grade!
During the last week of school I was able to help out with Field Day.  I ran a station with another Mom, and even though I didn't get to spend the whole afternoon with just Ella, I was so happy I could be there. I rarely get to join in on field trips, chapel services, parties ~ it's just hard because she is the firstborn and I have a handful of littles that need me too. But I love that she lit up when she saw me, and talked about it for days after. And I'm 100% sure it meant more to me to be there with her at school. I snapped some pictures of her doing some of the relays and games, luckily I was volunteering, I probably could've been fired for leaving my station to take them. The kids were so cute and I loved seeing the camaraderie and encouragement they gave each other, cheering their classmates on.
Beach bum relay
This precious, beautful lady is Ella's Teacher, Mrs T. I love this girl. I have to admit that I'm always skeptical starting off a new year. We absolutely adored her kindergarten teacher Mrs. Parenteau, and I was just convinced no one could top her. It's kind of like having more kids, you think you can't possibly love anyone as much, but you do. The love is the same but for different reasons. And that is what I've learned about these amazing teachers. I love them all equally, but for different reasons ~ because of who they are and what they bring out in Ella. Katie loves and appreciates Ella's spunk, her adventurous spirit, her tomboy-ness, her sass and zesty personality. And she came alongside her and helped her one-on-one when she needed it in math. She loves the Lord so deeply and genuinely, and Ella benefited from that love and passion. Ella really blossomed in so many ways under her care and instruction. Truly, these teachers are why we pay the big bucks for Ella's schooling, they are worth their weight in gold.
 Ella had 2 last days, sort of. This was Ella's last full day with Mrs. T, her son is also at NWC and had his end of the year concert, so she was going to miss a little bit of their last day. So this was my chance to get these two cuties in a picture together.
This is an Ella classic ~ the thumbs-up:) And how cute that she started kindergarten in one of my dresses, and ended 1st grade in another one of mine that my Mom made for me as a little girl {Holly Hobbie was the bomb back then}
Wow, I can't believe how much she's changed from the 1st day of 1st grade....
to the official last day. Look at those long, lean legs. What happened to the thunder thighs I used to kiss and squeeze. My heart hurts...
My beautiful girl
 Of course, the thumbs-up again.
 And who the heck knows what this sassy pose is about. Sigh...let's hope she doesn't move like that on the dance floor someday at prom.
And the last day of school isn't complete until a garbage bag FULL of projects, paperwork, books, crafts, the contents of her very messy desk {she does not take after me in this department and the "desk fairy" at school didn't leave her notes of appreciation very often} comes home. And I couldn't wait to get my hands on the prized writing journal. I know the purpose is to hone their writing and spelling skills, but this is my favorite thing to look through at the end of the year. It's her musings, her highs and lows, what was on her mind. And the very first entry was about Disneyland. We took the kids just days after school started, I know, we are those kind of parents. Disneyland takes precedence over education:) Her journal entry was so precious, and I love seeing how phonetic her spelling was at the beginning of the year. Notice how "Disneyland" is spelled perfectly, that's my girl.
"Won time we wer at Disneyland I saw tenkerbell. I was ecsited. Tinkrbell was fliing up on the line then my mom krid becaes she was hapy."

No comments: