I found this delicious jalepeno and cheddar focacia at the grocery store a while back and it talked fancy to me, so I bought it without really any idea how I would use it with dinner. But what I threw together that night wound up being our all-time favorite sammy!
* Slice the bread horizontally, then into sandwich sized pieces.
* Marinate chicken breasts in Italian vinaigrette for a few hours, then grill it.
In the meantime... roast a half head of garlic {just cut the head in half horizontally to expose the cloves, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap in foil. Bake at 350* for about 10-20 minutes until the cloves are completely soft and slip out of the skin}.
* Put the hot, roasted garlic in a dish and crushed it with about a tablespoon of tomato paste {I buy the Mutti brand in the tube for things like this when I just need a little bit}.
* Once this cools, mix the tomato and garlic with about 1/3 cup mayo {Kel, you could use softened cream cheese}
* Now grab your chicken off the BBQ before it burns. I don't really like one huge chunk of chicken on my sandwich, so I cut them on the diagonal into 1/2" thick slices.
* Next, put a slice of cheese on the bottom pieces of bread, I used provolone because I had it, but I think Jack or Havarti would be good. Broil quickly just to melt cheese, then....
Assemble the goodness. Bread, garlic spread, chicken slices, fresh tomato and presto, you're done! I make home fries and a little side salad to go with it, so yummy. A very summery dinner so get to it before your barbecue freezes over in a few weeks.
~ The bread was from the Safeway bakery, and it is spicy, so I use the ends for the kids' sandwiches, it's usually completely jalepeno-free:)
No comments:
Post a Comment