11.06.2012

Election Day...praying for a change

The bald eagle will continue to be protected by the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act even though it has been delisted under the Endangered Species Act. This law, originally passed in 1940, provides for the protection of the bald eagle and the golden eagle (as amended in 1962) by prohibiting the take, possession, sale, purchase, barter, offer to sell, purchase or barter, transport, export or import, of any bald or golden eagle, alive or dead, including any part, nest, or egg, unless allowed by permit Bald Eagle sitting in tree(16 U.S.C. 668(a); 50 CFR 22). "Take" includes pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, wound, kill, capture, trap, collect, molest or disturb (16 U.S.C. 668c; 50 CFR 22.3). The 1972 amendments increased civil penalties for violating provisions of the Act to a maximum fine of $5,000 or one year imprisonment with $10,000 or not more than two years in prison for a second conviction. Felony convictions carry a maximum fine of $250,000 or two years of imprisonment. The fine doubles for an organization. Rewards are provided for information leading to arrest and conviction for violation of the Act.

Consider me an equal opportunity offender today, I'm fired up! But I figure no one has to read this if they don't want to, and they certainly don't have to agree with me. If you don't agree with me, chance are I don't agree with you, and we can be okay with that! You may be wondering why I'm posting this odd little bit of info about eagles and what it has to do with election day. I don't think either presidential candidate is perfect. We've never had a perfect one, never will. But I will always, ALWAYS vote for the man or woman who stands up for life. Who doesn't think that a precious human life is disposable, unimportant, worthless. Apparently we as a nation have decided that a bald eagle, even if it's dead, even it's egg, is more valuable that a pre-born human baby. A baby with a moving body, a beating heart, nerve endings, brain waves, a SOUL. I wonder why a pre-born eagle is still an eagle, but a pre-born human isn't a human life? God have mercy on us for closing our eyes to this holocaust, and shame on us for standing by and letting it happen. And depending on who you voted for, you may have decided you don't mind paying for it and now the rest of us may have to. We have a great country, the best, but this is one thing I am absolutely ashamed of as an American. I have the pleasure, and pain, of seeing this issue played out every Thursday night at work. I've seen people in hopeless circumstances choose life for their babies. I've also seen perfectly formed, wiggling babies on ultrasound, heard their galloping heartbeat fill the room, and then the following week they were dead. Their mother decided to abort at 13 weeks "so they don't have to crush his head too much to get him out." I've come home from the medical clinic completely raw, crawled into bed, tears rolling down my face before my head even hits the pillow. So I for one vote for life. And if you don't, maybe you need to see an abortion. Ever wonder why there are documentaries on TV about every possible medical procedure, but oddly, not about abortion? Because you wouldn't be able to handle it ~ it is so grotesque, so disturbing, so upsetting that it just might change your mind. I've watched an animal rights video from a vegetarian friend, it was horrible, I could hardly watch it. But I did, because I didn't want to turn a blind eye. I don't want to be ignorant, I don't want to take a stand, or not make one, based on misinformation. And you know what, animals shouldn't be mistreated, neglected, skinned for their fur, beat. But babies, human babies, shouldn't be dismembered and suctioned into a container either, and far worse things happen in late-term abortions, which are legal. And if we're worried about eating a chicken's unfertilized egg or a pound of steak, or worried about a seal covered in oil from a spill or a celebrity covered in fur {and we should} we sure as heck better be concerned about aborted babies. Over 100,000 per day, every day. Lord forgive us...
"What sorrow for those who say that evil is good and good is evil, that dark is light and light is dark, that bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter." Isaiah 5:20

6 comments:

katy said...

oh my dear friend. i have deep love and respect for you. more than you know. i am so thankful for you and your strong beliefs. i am thankful we live in a country where we can voice them without fear of persecution. i am thankful that we can be so politically divided but so similar in our heart. i pray for a world where the killing of people, unborn babies, animals and all living things is abolished. i believe that with greater access to equality and freedom of choices and sound education this will one day be possible. i cannot wait for the day when we can sit in your new kitchen and chat for hours while our kids play outside. when we can discuss all the worlds problems and as two strong, passionate women come up with solutions that will better our world and our planet. i love you! thank you for the gift and blessing of you!

LAURA said...

Thank you Katy for this, I couldn't agree more. Our country is great, our freedom is precious and I'm grateful we can speak our minds. I think our friendship shows that you don't have to think exactly the same and agree on everything to have strength and love between friends. Promise you'll come visit with me and sit in my kitchen while the girls explore the woods with my wild Rufflings?! Love you, and love that we can both see past our differences and see each other. xoxo

katy said...

maybe a mid-winter break visit?? sledding, hot cocoa, snowmen, coffee and lots of baked goods. :) xoxoxo

Marci said...

You go girl.....you make me proud to be your momma!

Anonymous said...

One in three women have had an abortion. I cringed when I read your sensationalist statement about crushed heads. The decision to choose abortion is never an easy one - it's a choice that many women arrive at thoughtfully, and go through in silence. Many are married, financially stable, have a career and have children or want them in the future. While I agree that an increase in education has the potential to decrease the incidence, not all situations lead to adoption. Remember: 1 in 3 - that means its likely someone you know and love has made that difficult choice.

LAURA said...

Dear "anonymous"
Thank you for your comment. Just to clarify, I didn't make the "sensationalist" statement, one of my clients did after she saw an ultrasound of her child and was still planning to abort. Those were her words, not mine. But it is the truth. I'm not sure if you've read any of my prior posts about this issue, but I am not only the mother of an adopted child who was a scheduled abortion, thank God, one that never occured, but also the family member and friend of several women who have made the choice to abort a child, and all of them regret it. I am also an RN that works with these women and sees firsthand the devastation it causes, and I am not afraid to say what others won't say about it. It is ending the life of a pre-born child in a way that we wouldn't wish on our worst enemy. And although adoption is THEE hardest option in my opinion, it is one that both the mother and child can live with. But we do have a lot of work to do to support these girls/women and their families, which is why I choose to work in this area. I am unapologetically passionate on this issue, and the truth is sometimes difficult to hear. I empathize with women that feel they have no other option, I can only imagine what it must be like. I just believe we must be honest about this issue, our society tries to gloss over the reality of abortion and that is what should be condemned, not those who find themselves facing unplanned pregnancies.