4.04.2013

Chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever

Well, Mitchy joined the Stitches Club, of which Charlie is president and CEO. Poor guy slipped on the wood stairs to the basement and smacked his mouth so hard that it pushed both of his front teeth all the way through his lip:( I feel like such a bad mother, this is the 3rd set of stitches in 6 months! Apparently we need a punch card. Mitch was so brave at Urgent Care, I mean unbelievably cool as a cucumber. He didn't whine, cry or fuss once during the whole process, even when they put 3 injections right into the gashes in his lip and mouth. Yowza. They had his face covered with a drape and a nurse holding his feet in case he started wigging out, but the only thing he did was rub his feet together and squeeze my hand while they numbed him up. Sweet boy. Even I dropped a few tears onto his soft white hair while I was lying next to him, he did better than me. He was such a trooper and said he wanted to "tell Papa that I'm tough like a cowboy." I told him I'd get him a treat on the way home, he decided on Baskin Robbins which was perfect, it was a Tuesday night and they have $1 kids cones. He picked a crazy colored purple and green ice cream, then after trying to navigate the spoon around lips the size of a soccer ball he told me "guess I can't really eat this, my lips don't work right." The kids' dentist wanted to see him the next day to make sure his front teeth were okay, and thankfully it looks like they will survive until the proper time for tooth fairy visitations. I took a picture about a day and a half later, and the swelling had gone down a ton and amazingly, the inside of his lip was already filling in with granulation tissue. Our bodies are incredible, and I'm incredibly sure this wasn't the last set of stitches around here.

1 comment:

katy said...

oh no poor buddy! so sorry mitchy! so glad his teeth survived. some cute girl will be glad he has those scars someday. in like 20 years of course. maybe even one of mine. ;) love you guys!