5.02.2013

Chuckles

Charlie just is funny, he doesn't necessarily say funny things more often than the other Rufflings, but his physical humor, body language, and expressions are priceless, and a constant source of laughter around here. He is a perpetual ninja/warrior/soccer player/super hero, and I would film him 24/7 if I could. These are a few recent acts of cuteness I wanted to jot down so I don't forget.

Charlie was looking at the flowers on the table the other day and asked "what part of the flower gives you the God-bless-you's?"

This is one of the cutest things Charlie does at the moment: When he does something he's proud of, or if we offer help and he doesn't think he needs it, he says loudly and proudly {actually, everything he says is loud} "I did it all by my best self!!" with one hand on his hip, and his thumb pointing at his puffed up chest;)

Ella had a rough morning before school, so the boys and I packed a lunch and decided to surprise her at school by waiting for her in the cafeteria at lunch. I told the boys to load up in the car, and on accident said that we need to hurry so we can "eat" Ella, I was trying to say "meet Ella so we can eat with her" but my brain missed a few steps. Before I had a chance to correct myself, Charlie said "we can't eat Ella, hers our precious girl!"

When playing hide-and-seek, this is how Charlie responds when asked where he is: "here I is, here me are!"
Since we're talking about Charlie... On a serious side note, on Sunday as we were getting ready to leave the house for a party, Charlie ran up to his room to grab his wallet. I heard a LOUD crash and an instant cry, the bad kind. I ran up as fast as I could, skipping who knows how many stairs at a time. As I turned the corner to their room I saw that their huge dresser had fallen on him. It was leaning on his body and his lower leg was tweaked and pinned under it, holding the weight of it. It is solely God's protection that he didn't at the very least break his leg, or worse, suffer a head injury. I am definitely a Mom that is on the paranoid side of the spectrum, and have always insisted that Todd anchors furniture. In fact when we moved to this house it took months to get their book shelf up because I refused to until he had the stuff he needed to anchor it to the wall. But I never thought their dresser would fall, it's a bureau and is much wider than it is tall. And it's solid oak. So after the dust cleared and we knew he was okay, I asked what happened, half assuming he'd climbed on it because he is our naughty{est} child and the one who takes the most physical risks. He said that he opened all the drawers to find his wallet. I guess the weight of all the wood drawers hanging out at once, weighed down with clothes, was enough to tip it over.  Just wanted to share this so you can be careful! About a year ago I read on a home schooling Mom's blog that her 3 year old boy wasn't so lucky when a dresser fell on him, he died from brain trauma. Please check your furniture, even if your kids are past the climbing stage. And thank you Lord for your protection. I've been replaying this scenario in my head over and over and know it was a miracle that he wasn't hurt.

No comments: