1.19.2009

Baby It's Cold INSIDE!

It's official, our house is turning against us. We came home from our little Christmas holiday to discover that our roof had been leaking the whole time we were gone. Not pretty. The leak damaged all 3 floors of the house, including Todd's beloved basement that he painstakingly finished less than a year ago. So we are slowly going through the process of getting things torn out and fixed up. Paying our home insurance deductable stung a little, but things could always be a lot worse, right?
So the other morning I noticed our heater was acting funny, coming on and turning off, then coming on again just seconds later. I told Todd about it and today he decided we better get someone over to look at it. So while the service man was trying to figure it out, the problem became very apparent as our entire house filled with the smell of noxious smoke and all the smoke alarms went off, scaring the pants off the poor kids. Apparently our furnace motor was overheating and while the repair man was working on it, the sensor blew and what would normally keep the furnace from bursting into flames, well, like I said, it quit working. The best part is that it's only going to be $600 to fix it, "at least." Famous last words. Yikes!! And we just threw caution to the wind and made plans to go to Disneyland before the babies come. Thank goodness we had free plane tickets.
So, it's about 3 hours later and the house is getting chillier by the minute. The kids are bundled up and Todd and I will keep a midnight vigil with mittens and hats in hand to pass out if needed. Glad I have my own personal furnace to sleep next to tonight, I don't call him Hot Toddy for nothing...

No comments: