1.31.2009

Vino!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good red wine, keeping in mind that we're cheapskates? Todd decided to start drinking a little with dinner for the health benefits seeing as he has to be around to watch all these kids graduate, (I promise he didn't turn into a lush - I suppose he'd be asking for tequila suggestions if that were the case) but he isn't really crazy about the taste. He seems to have figured out that he doesn't like dry red wine (whatever that means, isn't it a liquid?), so maybe some suggestions for a "beginner?" I'm half Italian, but no help in this department, I'd rather have a Coke.

5 comments:

Scott Hudson said...

I didn't start drinking any wine until about a year ago. I'm not a huge fan of the taste, either, but am starting to get an idea about what I like. I would have Todd try to sample a little of each different kind, then try different labels of the kind he likes best.

I've found that I'm more partial to Shiraz, because the Merlots and Cabs are just a bit too heavy. Manischewitz is kosher, and tastes like grape juice, but must be one of the strongest, cheap wines. We got some for a passover celebration, and Oy Vey...

I've been trying to drink a glass of red maybe once a week or so for health benefits, too. Don't know if it's working, but it's been interesting trying to improve my palate! Salud! Slainte!

Stephenie said...

Dave and I really enjoy Amavi Cabernet Sauvignon (sp?) We buy it at Huckleberry's for $21 a bottle. I just heard about the health benefits again and it's pretty impressive.
Cheers!

LAURA said...

Thanks for the suggestions Scotty and Steph (Siri too:-))! I am happy I don't have to spend a bunch of money on experimental wines... I wrote down all the names of the wines you mentioned and it's in my purse so I can grab some different ones and see what Todd likes.

Anonymous said...

Upon closer investigation of your photo on this blog...you do indeed have the wine "Menage a Trois" from World Market. It made me giggle...

On a more "adult" and serious note...Aaron and I really like all of Latah Creek's red wines (and we are not big red wine drinkers). We especially like the Sangiovese. Arbor Crest also has great reds...and then you would be supporting our local wineries!!!

LAURA said...

I had to buy that one when I saw the label. Interestingly enough that has been his favorite so far, hmmm...