We're not big Halloweeners around here {great word, huh?}. But what Mother could resist the sight of her children in costume?! And maybe even more importantly, what Mom could resist bags and bags of candy? So we partake in the festivites and just try to keep it creep-free and simple. I've almost always gotten the kids' costumes at Other Mother's and I am so tickled when I can find coordinating themes, I know, I'm a complete nerd. But last year I found an Indian girl and cowboy costume for Ella and Big D for 4 bucks, and I love a good deal so I was excited! I knew we had enough stuff at home for one of the twins to be a cowboy, and Dawson was an Indian when he was a tot, so I thought "perfect, 2 Indians, 2 cowboys and for dirt cheap!" Well, when I dove into the Halloween bin I discovered that the Indian costume Dawson had worn was way too small for Charlie. So we had everything on hand to make him a.... hobo. He loves to dress up and I knew he'd tolerate, and maybe even enjoy, wearing the make-up, the bedroll backpack {I just used some leftover cotton badding from quilting and some twine} and cardboard sign. And no panhandler would be complete with a pan, so I used one of my antique pans and filled it with toy change for him to carry. Ella really wanted to bring her baby, so I made a papoose out of the too-small Indian costume and strapped it to her back with some more twine, she looked precious, my platinum blonde Indian Mama;) So after Mamarazzi snapped a few pics, we went to my sister's church for the Harvest Party, our church doesn't host one so we tagged along with them. Plus, Halloween is my sister's birthday so it was nice to spend time with her. Mitchy flipped a lid as soon as we walked in, costumes, jumping castles, noisy people ~ not his cup of tea, so much like his Daddy;) So Todd and Adam slowly but surely got him warmed up, and a candy or two helped the process along. By the time we left his tears were replaced with sucker goo, success. Charlie was totally into it and played the games that he was old enough to enjoy. When he got a candy he would sit on the ground, set his pan down, and eat it right then and there. It was hilarious because adults would throw candy into his little pot as they walked by. Ella was having the time of her life socializing, Dawson had the time of his life because he was surrounded by candy! My nieces, Sis and nephew were such a big help and I love when the kids can make memories with them. We headed toward home and I took the Bigs around our block to trick-or-treat while the Littles took a tubby. It took us over an hour to walk around our block because we wound up visiting with all of our neighbors! We missed our tradition with the Loftstedts, but we had chili and bread in their honor:)
No comments:
Post a Comment