1.31.2012

Y2K + 12

I can't believe it's 2012, what the heck! It's the last day of January and it just occured to me that I hadn't made any New Year's Resolutions. Maybe that's because I never keep them and they become just another item on the list of "Why I'm a Loser." Besides, my resolutions rarely change: read my Bible more, be a sweeter wife, hug my kids more {if that's possible}, exercise, eat less sugar {yeah right, like that's gonna happen}. But I love the thought of a new year, so fresh and clean and full of possibility. Speaking of New Year's...
I vividly remember the whole Y2K thing, don't you? We weren't necessarily expecting the world to end per se, but there was a lot of talk about the possibility of some major issues. Todd's parents lived out in the country, we did too at the time, but the whole family decided to use their basement pantry as a place to store "stuff." You know, end of the world stuff. Over the course of the previous year the whole family brought food items, toiletries, blankets, flash lights, batteries, more food, bottled water, guns and ammo, anything and everything we might need when the calendar turned 2-0-0-0 and we would suddenly need to stand in line for hours just to get a loaf of bread. Don't laugh, this was serious business. Todd's Dad bought a generator, I bought M&M's. That's right, one of my contributions was a Costco sized bag of M&M's. If the world was going to end, it was going to end with my stomach full of chocolate. You all know how Y2K turned out, nothing happened, that's how it turned out. So we all raided their basement pantry and started rationing out our rations. Time to start taking our "stuff" home and eating it or using it. So I was quite anxious to retrieve my ginormous bag of M&M's, but looked and looked through the massive pantry and couldn't find it. I finally asked my Mother-in-law if she knew where my glorious stash was and she gave me the most sheepish grin and started cracking up. Todd's sister Suzanne and his Mom had EATEN ALL OF MY M&M'S!!!! I couldn't believe it, how dare they break into my emergency food? Apparently the stress of impending doom had driven them to gorge on chocolate. If all heck had broke loose and Y2K was actually anything other than, well, nothing, I would have been stuck, in the basement, with my in-laws, eating MRE's, bottled water and crackers by the slight warmth of a wood burning fire WITHOUT MY M&M'S! It's been 12 years and the pain of this betrayal has slowly healed, but a scar remains. I will forgive, but I will never, ever forget.

No comments: