4.25.2008

My Favorite Thing to Make for Dinner is RESERVATIONS

A few months ago I completed Extreme Makeover, Recipe Edition. I love to cook and although I'm organized and admittedly Type A, my overflowing recipe collection needed some serious renovations. So I got 2 binders and painstakingly retyped each of my recipes onto a full page, then put them into clear sleeves, and of course separated them by categories. It was a huge undertaking, but I love how easy to read and washable they are now. But the greatest thing of all is that I have been re-inspired to try out some new stuff, and revisit some old favorites. I don't know about your house, but we get into dinner ruts here. We rotate about 10 dinners and then the process seems to repeat itself. Enchiladas, chili and beer bread, tacos, lasagna, roast and veggies, brats with peppers and onions . . . Well, that is about to change (well some of it's going to change, I love tacos and lasagna so they're here to stay).
When I proudly showed Todd my shiny new folders he said "only you would have one binder entirely for desserts, and it's just as thick as the other one." That is sorta sad. One contains recipes for main dishes, veggies, sides, appetizers, soups and salads, the other has just desserts and it's the same size - go figure.

So here is one of our newest faves, you have to try it, it's a perfect Spring/Summer dish.
The ingredients you'll need are in bold.

One salmon fillet for each person.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Thaw a pkg of puff pastry in the fridge. Then cut it into squares a little larger than salmon fillets. Lay puff pastry on a cookie sheet an inch or so apart, I lined it with parchment paper.
Lay the salmon on the parchment paper a few inches away from pastry. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with sliced (not slivered) almonds. Bake for about 15 minutes or until puff pastry is golden and fish is cooked.
In the meantime, make some pesto (you can certainly buy it, I just happened to have a ton of basil so I made a quick batch). When the fish comes out, lay the pastry on each plate, top with 2-3 slices fresh tomato, then pesto. Lay salmon on top and enjoy. Serve with spinach salad or asparagus, something green. It's SO pretty and colorful, and most importantly, delicious. Yum!!!

No comments: