7.06.2008

Independence Day

Our 4th of July plans were to have a big reunion with Todd's side of the family. The whole gang met up at his Aunt Suzanne's, which is literally just across the lake from us. We had a wonderful time catching up and seeing the newest additions to everyone's family. I must say there were some really cute kids running around - besides ours of course. We ate lots of delicious food, chatted away happily with family, and stayed late to enjoy the fireworks. Dawson really loved them this year and at every break between explosions, he signed "more, more." Ella was in her element socializing with her new-found playmates and eating refined sugar to her heart's content. The day also brought some really difficult news, our sweet friend Jeannie passed away unexpectedly. I don't even know how to describe her in words, those of you that know her can understand why. I will miss everything about her, her encouragement, her laugh, which is famous among family and friends. I will miss her hugs, she gave the best ones. So many people pull away before you can even get your arms around them, not Jeannie, she embraced you. It feels so surreal to know that I will never get to talk with her again or hear her contagious laughter, not in this life anyway. I don't know how people deal with this kind of heart ache without the Lord, He is definitely our comfort and hope in all of this. Jeannie made an impact on me that has changed who I am. I can only hope to be for someone else half of what she was for me. She challenged me when I failed, she lifted me up, and she was always a listening ear. She left a void as enormous as her heart and spirit. My heart has never hurt like this before. She was born on Christmas Day, and met the God she loved on 4th of July. My 2 favorite holidays celebrating the life of one of my favorite people. What a day to go to heaven, now that is true freedom - freedom from pain, from mistakes, from heart ache and disappointment. All she knows now is pure joy. She left behind the sweetest man, her husband Scott, and their equally sweet 11 year old daughter Malia. It's going to be a long, hard road.

I miss you so much already Jeannie, I'll see when I get home . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you Jeannie! Give God a big hug for me!