Dawson's appointment with the allergist went really well. Some great news - no other allergies that we know of! Yahoo!!! I was just bracing myself to hear the doctor say "wheat, dairy, eggs..." so I am incredibly grateful that we are just dealing with a peanut allergy at this point. They didn't test him with every panel, there are about 4 more sets of 12 allergens, but they won't test him for those until he is older and they feel the need. The pet allergy panel also came back negative - Bailey was thanking her lucky stars. Dawson did great, I was worried about the zillions of pokes they would give him, but allergy testing has come a long way since I had it done, and it isn't nearly as painful. A bag of Oreo cookies saved the day, and he was a real champ. On one hand I'm glad he doesn't have say, a dairy allergy, because it is so much harder to avoid and cut out. On the other hand, at least a dairy allergy isn't fatal! So we are still armed and dangerous with 2 Epi-Pens and strict instructions about going to the ER with a Benadryl glugging boy if he ever looks crossed-eyed at a peanut. Some of you may be getting a handy-dandy, 2 page instruction sheet from the Doc, laminated and all (I knew I loved this guy when he said to put a picture of Dawson on the sheet and laminate it, right up my alley). So we are SO grateful for our one little problem, it could have been so much worse. So I'm on a mission to find some pseudo peanut butter for him to enjoy. Almond, cashew, something of that nature. But ironically enough, every time I find one the label reads "processed on equipment that processes peanuts." What the heck is almond and cashew butter for if it's not for people with peanut allergies?!
9.13.2008
Dawson's Appointment in a (pea)Nut Shell
Dawson's appointment with the allergist went really well. Some great news - no other allergies that we know of! Yahoo!!! I was just bracing myself to hear the doctor say "wheat, dairy, eggs..." so I am incredibly grateful that we are just dealing with a peanut allergy at this point. They didn't test him with every panel, there are about 4 more sets of 12 allergens, but they won't test him for those until he is older and they feel the need. The pet allergy panel also came back negative - Bailey was thanking her lucky stars. Dawson did great, I was worried about the zillions of pokes they would give him, but allergy testing has come a long way since I had it done, and it isn't nearly as painful. A bag of Oreo cookies saved the day, and he was a real champ. On one hand I'm glad he doesn't have say, a dairy allergy, because it is so much harder to avoid and cut out. On the other hand, at least a dairy allergy isn't fatal! So we are still armed and dangerous with 2 Epi-Pens and strict instructions about going to the ER with a Benadryl glugging boy if he ever looks crossed-eyed at a peanut. Some of you may be getting a handy-dandy, 2 page instruction sheet from the Doc, laminated and all (I knew I loved this guy when he said to put a picture of Dawson on the sheet and laminate it, right up my alley). So we are SO grateful for our one little problem, it could have been so much worse. So I'm on a mission to find some pseudo peanut butter for him to enjoy. Almond, cashew, something of that nature. But ironically enough, every time I find one the label reads "processed on equipment that processes peanuts." What the heck is almond and cashew butter for if it's not for people with peanut allergies?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment