9.24.2009

Beautiful


"We're out walking: my little boy holding my left hand, his older sister on my right, and the baby, six weeks old, asleep in her Snugli. We're still at the stage when my taking a shower seems like an accomplishment. I haven't lost all the weight I gained while pregnant; it's been months since I had my hair highlighted to preserve the conceit that I remainn as blond as I was at 16; I look like I'm getting as little sleep as I am; and I am wearing a nursing bra - a contraption that, inexplicably, department stores categorize as lingerie. In short: not a glamorous moment. Still, I feel - for the first time in my life - really, truly, I-don't-need-anyone-to-tell-me-so, drop-dead beautiful. It has taken three children to deliver me to this state, this symetry of boy on my left, girl on my right, and baby on my breast."

This is a snipit of an article I read that made me cry (big surprise) - it's like she took the words out of my mouth, or maybe out of my heart. Just add an extra baby and this pretty much sums up the beauty that is motherhood in my world.

No comments: