9.05.2009

Bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils

The post card Ella's teacher sent her the week before school started 1st day of kindergarten - my beautiful girl

Ella's first-day-of-school treats - gotta have cookies and milk, right?!





Pretty soon it's going to be Dawson with the backpack, I'm going to need pills that day



The "kissing hand." I kissed this a bunch of times then Ella tucked it in the pocket of her dress in case she needed a smooch from Mom

Watermelon math - her first day was at the park for a kindergarten social

Story time with Mrs. P, the morning and afternoon classes together

Ella started kindergarten this week and it wasn't as bad as I thought....it was worse! Okay, I know you think I'm weird. This is a good thing, right? Well it is but it just doesn't feel right. How can she be 5, how can she be in school? When she was a baby Todd and I used to say that when she starts school, it's over. By "over" I mean the baby years are over, the toddler years are over, the care-free days are over, it means they are breaking away from Mom and Dad little by little. Now I know it sounds like I'm over reacting a bit and you may be right, but honestly, things are different from here on out. No more taking off to Disneyland, to Ninny and Papa's, to the beach - not unless it's on a weekend or school break. There's homework at night, volunteer hours for Mom, trips into to town every day. No more staying up late on "school nights." She's going to become increasingly aware of her clothes, her short-comings, her talents and failures. Her feelings will get hurt, and I won't be there to stick up for her. She'll have successes, she'll get in trouble, she'll get tummy aches and scrapes and I won't be there. That's the hard part, letting go, letting her grow up into the person she's created to be. She is fiercely independent but the funny thing is I still need her....
She had a great first day (first official day at the school) and I told myself over and over to keep my composure. I didn't want to upset her so I tried my darndest not to cry, but the tears just came, and came... I love her so much and I know this is right for her. I know she'll blossom there. We prayed for so long about this decision and I know it's right, but it just doesn't feel that way yet, not for me. She's only at school for less than 3 hours, and by the time I make the drive home she's back in a flash, so I'm happy about that. And her teacher is absolutely divine. I love, LoVe, LOVE her. Ella is the only girl in her class, poor thing is destined to be surrounded by boys. But Mrs. P calls her the princess of the class and we all know Ella can hold her own, rowdy boys or not. So here's to closing one chapter and beginning another, I know one thing for sure, the stories I'll be hearing about school may be worth the cost of tuition in and of itself.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

These stages are hard! Ella looked beautiful and excited to be starting school. God Bless all of you through this exciting year! Love to all! Oh and I think all first school days need to start with chocolate of some kind, it's important.

dana kangas said...

Seriously, why do you have to make me cry all the time??? I don't know how you find time to write blogs. I find that I have NOTHING going on in my head...or at least nothing worth taking the time to write down.

Thanks for taking the time to write down stuff...I enjoy reading them.