5.11.2010

Out of Africa

Todd's trip to Africa went really well, they accomplished what they wanted to at the coal mine and he came home safe and sound. He loved the people there, they were so generous and hospitable. The highlight of his trip was a sunset dinner that he said I would've died for. It was the perfect mix of rustic and elegant, right up my alley. He said they had a bon fire set up for them on this little hill, under a canvas canopy. The table was set up in the dirt, but was covered with fabric table cloths and napkins. They had a yummy dinner, a cold beer, and watched the sunset - not a bad way to spend the evening after a long day of work. They even had little lanterns set up to light the way, totally romantic, except for the fact that he was with a bunch of guys. He also got to ride an elephant and pet a lion cub. He filled me in on the stories I didn't really want to hear until he made it home. Let's just say a white boy in slacks could easily find himself in a compromising situation once the sun went down. I guess as they were driving one day Todd noticed that the driver, who worked at the mine, didn't stop at the stop sign. He asked why and he said that you don't stop at stop signs unless you want to get drug out of your car and left for dead, literally. One of the scariest stories he told me actually happened on the flight home. He said that most of the passengers had their shades down because it was really bright, but he had a window seat and was looking out because he was SOOO bored and sick of flying. So he saw the clouds kinda swirl and then in an instant a plane was right next to them, so close that he said he could see the rivets on the other plane clear as day and couldn't have been more than a couple of yards away. He was going to ask the pilot about it (if they survived) when they landed since they usually have the cock-pit door open, but they didn't have the door open this time when they de-planed. Hmmm, I wonder why.... I posted some of the pictures that he took, it looks like it was amazing. Oh, and the smoke at the surface of the mine is from the coal fires that apparently ingnite spontaneously, that doesn't sound dangerous at all.















2 comments:

Dawn said...

Amazing! I don't always want to hear Scott's stories until later either.

katy said...

OMG these are awesome! I wish Ava could go there now...she still has a fascination with all things lion related. We still brush zebra fur and antelope bones out of her teeth every night and when I get her out of the bath I have to pretend like she is a little lost lion cub without a family and I take her to the animal shelter. She swhould have gone with Todd...she would have kept him thoroughly entertained.