11.18.2009

John Paul, Jr.

I finally made it over to visit my friend Beth so I could meet her new baby boy J.P. and bring her a meal. Many of you will remember her, she lost her 9 week old son, Colin, 2 years ago. After struggling daily with such a tragic loss, and then a miscarriage, they bravely decided to try again and here is the beautiful result of their tenacity. I couldn't wait to get my hands on him, so after a thorough hand washing and a quick moment to get the kids settled, he was all mine. Oh is he dreamy. I know I have quite a selection of little boys of my own to snuggle with, but I am always up for more. There is something magical about new babies. Their smell, their velvety skin, their innocence and dependency, their angel soft hair... Speaking of hair, he has a head of red just like Beth, and her big, beautiful eyes. He just melted into my arms. He seems content in nature and I'm betting he's going to be a thumb sucker based on what I saw yesterday. He was so alert for a newborn, he just followed me with his eyes every time I turned my head while holding him. Beth is doing great and I love to see the joy in her face and to see her hold a baby again, she is glowing. We had a lot of good laughs, lots of nursing between the 2 of us, lots of diaper changes - and some tears were shed for Colin. He will always be missed, always remembered, but I think J.P. doesn't just stand for John Paul, I think it stands for Joy after Pain.

No comments: