

Even though I grew up in California and that conjures up visions of sun, sand and surf, we actually lived in the mountains so the climate was a lot like it is here. Mild summers, long winters, and a LOT of
snow. My Dad liked to keep the thermostat at 60*, wouldn't want to waste money on something as frivolous as maintaining a normal human body temperature. So my sister and I made good use of those feetsie jammies for a good part of the year, and since I was the youngest I inherited all of Steph's hand-me-downs. Everyone knows that I hate scratchy things - tags, itchy fabric, elastic...I like to be comfy, and cheap polyester pajamas that have been washed 500 times and worn by your sister are not comfortable. And to top it off, my mom used to cut the feet off of the jammies when they got too small. So then you were wearing pilled up, scratchy jammies, and the elastic that's supposed to be around your ankles is now wrapped around your calf and pinching off what remaining blood flow you had, which wasn't much with the heater set at 60. So I promised myself that no matter how poor I was, when I grew up my kids would always have cozy jammies. So flash forward to the present and here we are, midway between winter and spring, and I have 2 babies that are growing like noxious weeds. It's silly to buy more fleece, footed pajamas this late in the season, but that's all I can find in their size. And the pjs they have don't fit any more, dressing Charlie in them is like trying to stuff a sausage back in it's casing. So....I broke my promise. I cut the feet off of Charlie's jammies. Now I tried to think through this, so I cut out just the toe area so that the heel would be intact in hopes that this would keep the elastic from riding up onto Charlie's calves, not that they have a fighting chance of making it past his chubby ankles. But it doesn't matter, I still did it, I broke my promise. I've turned into my mother, all hope is lost. Lucky for Mitch that he's 2 pounds lighter, 1 inch shorter and has smaller feet or his jammies would have met the same fate.
2 comments:
I guess there are worse things that you could turn into!! LOL
Charlie looks adorable in his toe-less jammies....
And by the way, your father turned the thermostat to 50 when we would go to bed!! Now you know why I love heated blankets.
YOu're right, I could turn into DAD!! You know I'm just teasing, you're the greatest:-) XO
Post a Comment