3.11.2010

Toothless Wonder

Minus 1 Minus 2

Ella lost her first tooth!! Followed 2 days later by.... another tooth! She has been chomping at the bit to lose her teeth for over a year now, and she finally got her wish. After dinner on Tuesday night I made the kids ice cream cones and when she bit into the sugar cone her tooth started bleeding and was begging to come out, so Todd got a tissue and popped that sucker out. I CAN'T STAND the thought of pulling teeth, weird since I'm a nurse and have done way grosser (is that a word?) stuff, have been in on surgeries, rotations in the ER - but nothing turns my tummy like the thought of pulling a tooth out, especially one of my babies when I know it hurts. I of course cried which I know you were expecting. I picked her up and held her and honestly all I could think about was the night we brought her home from the hospital and how we got here so quickly - 6 years in the blink of an eye. So today she was eating lunch and same thing, her other loose tooth started bleeding. She asked me to "just get it out, it hurts!" so I decided to man up and gave it a little tug, but no luck. So Ella just yanked it our herself. I always tease that Ella should have been a pioneer girl, she's tough as nails.
After she lost the first one she started chatting happily about her upcoming visit from the Tooth Fairy. Even though she knows it's just me, we have fun playing around and she saw that I had the fairy wings and wand out, well Dawson overheard us and grabbed onto my leg and asked nervously "is that fairy lady comin' into my room too?" So in the middle of the night I snuck into her room quiet as a mouse, or a fairy I guess, and tucked her favorite candy bar and a dollar bill under her pillow. Well, the stinker woke up. And she was a little disappointed that she didn't get coins, so... I was a little smarter tonight and put her next round of Tooth Fairy offerings at the table for her to see when she wakes up, including some change (little does she know that actually saved me money). So now she's missing 2 of her bottom teeth, and what she's lacking in dentin, she makes up for with cuteness.

1 comment:

Scott Hudson said...

We've always done a gold dollar coin (Sacajawea and now Presidents) for each tooth. We were found out when we forgot for about 3 nights in a row and our oldest loudly lamented/reminded. Finally I just gave him the coin and said, "Here, the tooth fairy is obviously too busy at the rate you keep losing teeth!"