
We decided to have a mini camp-out with the kids in our backyard and it was so much fun! It was a far cry from our secluded spot in the woods, camped out next to a stream, but it was still a fun little get-away. We set up the tent early in the day so all 4 of the kids could have fun playing in it. Then once I got the twins settled into bed we officially set up camp. We got into our pj's, drug all of the extra blankies and sleeping bags out, made a fire, roasted marshmallow for s'mores, lit up the lantern, had bedtime snacks, read books and waited for it to get dark...Then we watched for falling stars and just snuggled in.

Ella and Dawson were so giggly and goofy. Ella would run over to the lantern and crouch down with this wild look in her eyes, like a cave man seeing fire for the first time, it was hilarious. Our plans for relaxing and star gazing were interrupted constantly, they kept getting in the tent, then crawling back out and onto our bed. Getting in, crawling out... I hate sleeping in tents and would much rather be under the night sky, and our little bed on the grass was cozy. We watched for shooting stars and satellites, and then at about 10 o'clock it became pretty clear that we weren't going to make it the whole night outside. I put batteries in the monitor so I could bring it out and still hear Charlie wake up for his Mommy-and-me time in the middle of the night, but we didn't get that far. And it's probably best since the mosquitoes love me and were eating me alive. We left our little camp-site out on the lawn until...We heard a tHuNdEr storm roll in a couple hours after we went to bed. I absolutely love
ThUnDeR and
lightening! So Todd ran out to pick up some of the blankets and pillows and I opened up the blinds and the window so I could see and hear the storm from bed, I love the smell of rain in the summer time. I would just start to drift off and see a flash, so I'd try to keep my eyes pried open so I wouldn't miss another lightening strike. We woke up tired, and I had a LOT of laundry to do the next day between the stuff that got soaked outside, and washing every one's sheets after they'd gone to bed all smoky and sticky. But it was worth it, hopefully we can squeeze in one more faux camp-out before we have to kiss summer goodbye.
1 comment:
Hey....were those the guest room bed pillows? I hope that no creepy-crawlies stowed away in them........
Post a Comment