3.22.2011

The laundry room, loads of fun!

Our laundry room is right off of the garage, so it has become Grand Central Station. Whenever we leave the house, we go through the laundry room. When we get home, we go through the laundry room. Plus, I just do a lot of laundry period. So I spend a lot of my time there, unfortunately. And to say we needed to change it a bit isn't true, I was just really, really hoping we could. Hoping for a long time...It was just super ugly and not functional for a family of 6. I'm happy to say it's had a complete makeover and it makes me so happy now! I picked a sunny, warm yellow for the walls, white for the cabinets, and I really wanted wood floors. But the flooring specialists (our Dads) said that was a bad idea because of possible water damage if the washer ever leaked. Whatever. But then we found this tile that looks like wood, and they even had barn "wood" so I was thrilled. I'm so happy with it, it hides dirt really well, which is almost as important as how cute it is. My parents were so sweet, they drove all the way up here on their one day off so my Dad could tile the floor, pro bono. Thanks Dad! We hired Todd's Dad to make the cabinets, and then a bench with cubbies for shoe bins, and an upper shelf with hooks for coats and backpacks, with littler cubbies for mittens and hats - or baseball caps and sunscreen for those 6 weeks of Summer we get around here. He did a beautiful job on the cabinets and I have so much storage space compared to the wire shelves that were there. Everything has a place, I love that! I couldn't find baskets for the shoes that fit, and I didn't want actual baskets because the point was to contain the dirt, gravel and grass. So we had bins made out of galvanized metal to keep the grubby shoes in. I sewed up a couple of fabric baskets for the upper cubbies, but haven't quite perfected the size, so I'll have to keep working out the kinks so everyone has a basket on the shelf. I found a light fixture made out of mason jars, which is one of my favorite parts of the whole space. I have a countertop for folding laundry instead of throwing it all on the couch so the babies can throw all the folded laundry on the floor as I fold it...There are a few things left undone, but I wanted to reveal it and I couldn't wait! I'm still working on a curtain out of vintage hankies, and I'm going to paint the kids' shilouttes under their hooks in chalk board paint. And we still need to hang the hooks on the wall for me and Todd. But here's a sneak peak at the new and improved laundry room. More to come...
Before....
After!!

7 comments:

Tabitha said...

LOVE the tile!! (never knew they made such a thing!)...right down my alley! LOVE the galvanized trays! and LOVE LOVE the mason jar lights! I wanted them the minute I saw them in Pottery Barn! You know what you might like (if you have a hand sink your laundry room) is a mason jar soap dispenser! We could probably make that! hugs tabitha

LAURA said...

I actually printed out the how-to for that mason jar soap dispenser! Great minds think alike:) I don't have a sink in the laundry room but would make it for the kitchen, us girls should get together and make some. Don't you love that light?! When I saw it I loved it, but assumed it was too much. I'm glad I checked because it was the same as some run-of-the-mill, hideous ones at Lowe's and Home Depot. Hope to see you soon!
Hugs back

Stephenie said...

Love LOVE LOVE it! So cute and FUNctional...which ultimately...is what it's all about!

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely FANTASTIC! I can't wait to see part deux with the silhouettes! I'm so glad you have this under your belt so you can help me with mine!

Loves,
D

katy said...

so wonderful. my favorite part is the bins for the boots. the lighting is awesome too! i would want to sleep in there. lucky girl laura!

Kelli said...

super cute...everything!!!

Marci said...

I looooooove the light fixture......I am so jealous :) The room looks great!!