3.12.2011

Sew much to do, so little time

I'm finally posting pictures of Ella's quilt. I know I said my goal was to get it done over Christmas break, and in my defense, I did get the entire top done by then. But I just couldn't decide whether I wanted lace edging. Then I just couldn't decide if I was going to use a flannel sheet as backing, or something else. Then I couldn't decide if I wanted to make a ruffle out of silky fabric or buy eyelet lace. I know, over analyzing again. So I finally decided to use that super soft material that's on Mitchy and Dawson's silkies as the backing, but it's kinda spendy, so then I had to wait for my half-off coupon. Excuses, excuses. But it's done now. Actually, that's a lie because I still haven't tacked down the squares with yarn. Darn it, Ella's going to be in college before it's totally finished. But it has been on her bed for about a month and it's so cute and cheery and girly.  Ella loves it and so do I. So now I'm onto Dawson's. He made it very clear that he was not happy that Ella had a special quilt and he didn't. So, after a little chat about bad attitudes and being happy for others:), I got started on his. We picked out material together, and I was able to use a handful of left-over scraps from Ella's that were gender neutral. I guess the pink fruit fabric that he insisted I put on his quilt wasn't gender neutral, but it's his blanket and he wanted it. Dawson's is going to be even crazier than Ella's, at least hers was in the same color scheme. Dawson's, not so much. It's just a fun mix of a bunch of things he loves (the top pictures are a sampling), plus a couple of special t-shirts he's grown out of. I just need to add one square of Christmas fabric to commemorate his birthday and then the top will be ready. Dawson has been working on it with me, his job is to cut the scraps, which is an important job. Dawson and Ella like to lay under the dining room table and push the pedal on the sewing machine for me, which makes things interesting. They think it's so funny to push it really fast, then slow, then fast for just a second, then slow again... They giggle and giggle, so pleased to know that they're being stinkers. Such great helpers...

No comments: