Well I certainly wasn't planning on writing about another Ruffling haircut so soon. This time it was Ella, this time I cried again, but there was one major difference - this wasn't by appointment. No, Ella took matters into her own hands, literally, and turned craft time into a hair trim. She chopped a chunk right in the center of her forehead, about 1/2" from her scalp, she also chopped about 3" back into the side at about dimple level, and about 2" away from the scalp on the other side. I was literally 10 feet away from her tending to Dawson when she said "Mom, there's hair EVERYWHERE!" I thought she was referring to dog hair (we were at my parent's house and they have a little Cocker Spaniel) so I said not to worry, doggy hair will come off in the wash. She replied "oh, it's not Cole's hair, it's mine." I didn't know my voice could go to the depths it went that day, this guttural "WHAT?" came bellowing out. Then of course, in true Laura fashion, tears started rolling down my face. All that beautiful golden hair!! I tried to remain calm, but I could not believe the amount of blond hair that was piled up on the floor. Once I swept things up, popped a Valium, and felt ready to really assess the damage, I made an unfortunate discovery. . . She had been wearing a little side braid that day, and when I took the rubber band out to re-do her hair (what was left of it), chunks fell out onto the bathroom floor. Apparently she'd gnawed away at her braid with the scissors. As I'm sweeping - again - this verse comes to mind. . . foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child. How true indeed. Ella was not concerned with the fact that we have a photographer meeting us at the beach in July to take family pictures during our vacation. She doesn't care that those newly formed "bangs" will be the perfect 1" long spikes in front of her head by then. It didn't cross her mind that now every morning I have to strategically place 17 tiny rubber bands around her head to tame her new 'do. She looks like she was the victim of electric shock therapy by the end of the day when all those chunks go frizzy and stand up on end. I suppose it's a rite of passage though. My Mom said my sister did it, I did it, then my sister did it to me. The funny thing is I thought this may be coming. Ever since I got some major bangs a few months ago she has been telling me that she wants them, and she was very intent on watching the girl cut Dawson's hair a couple of weeks ago. I guess my premonition was right, darnit!
P.S. I tried to take pictures, but her hair is so light that you can't see the contrast against her skin, it doesn't do it justice. If only it were reverse and you couldn't tell in person, just in pictures.
3 comments:
I'm sorry, but this story still cracks me up Laura. You're little Dora the Explorer is something else. I can't wait to see the new hair-do. She so darn cute, and I think we'll all still be focusing on those darlin dimples instead of her new blunt cut :) I know I'll be in for the same nightmare one of these days.
So much for the warning "don't run with scissors!" We've been saying the wrong warning! "Don't cut your hair with scissors or you'll".......(add whatever scarey thing you can think of right here)
I just had a thought....this would make a hilarious book for moms...on Mother's Day perhaps....a book full of pictures of little boys and girls after their first Hair Tragedy!
Caileigh cut her two days from her 4th Birthday party. I had to call the stylist at home to have her come and "try" to fix it. I don't know who was more upset - Caileigh or Scott!
Post a Comment