5.02.2008

Move Your Bloomin' Booty

It's Bloomsday weekend here in our neck of the woods, and it has me thinking about a different kind of race. The bible compares the Christian walk to a race, one that we're meant to run with the intention of "winning." God has been challenging me on this the past few months and I know I am far from the toned, trained runner I should be. I feel like one of the little old ladies that walks Bloomsday with some friends so they can chat. I of course have a fanny pack full of snacks should I get hungry, and while I am most definitely at the race, I have no intention of actually running it - I'm there for the fresh air, conversation, and of course, the cool t-shirt. But that is so far from what I want my life to be. Marathon runners are consumed with training, with getting their body prepared for the race ahead. Running is what they eat, sleep, breathe - it's everything. My relationship with the Lord is supposed to be that consuming, and I'm embarassed to admit that so often it's not. So it's time to get my booty in shape and start running again, well maybe I should start with a slow jog. The Christian walk isn't a spectator sport.

I Cor. 9:24 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. "

BTW our friend Dana Kangas is a graphic designer and she designed the Bloomsday t-shirts again this year. Good job Dana!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the honorable mentions. :-)

To clarify...I didn't design the finisher's shirt (just the singlets for the fast runners). I am looking forward to rolling out of bed tomorrow morning, and drinking tea from the comfort of my couch, while I watch 500 of my designs run across the finish line on TV.

On a more spiritual note, I know how you feel about running the good race...I am right there with you!!! I am looking forward to the spiritual marathon training with you as we are on this journey together as sisters in Christ...will you still bring your fanny pack with snacks?

:-)