
I've been working my way through "Healed and Set Free" - by Tammy Brown, and it's been really good. It's definitely not a self-help book, Lord knows I can't help myself even if I tried:) It's basically a Bible study for people that are trying to work through past hurts, or present ones for that matter. I think all of us get a little damaged along the way, some in big ways, some in smaller ways, maybe a combination of the two. What I know in my head and is finally, truly making it's way to my heart by going through this book has been powerful. The simple truth that what has been done to me, happened to me, hurt me, is really nothing in comparison to what I do to
myself when I allow my heart to become bitter. "Bitter" seems like such a big, nasty word, and I think I've tricked myself at times into thinking that it was an overstatement. But when I don't allow God to help me get through, and then move past my hurts, that is exactly what I'm becoming. The person or the event that originally caused the mess pales in comparison to the way I can continually rip
myself off by staying stuck there. Living without joy, peace, contentment, forgiveness - those are the real tragedies. We've all had hard times. We've probably all held onto something longer than we should. And to be clear, I'm not saying that to forgive and move forward means to say that it's okay, that whatever happened is fine. You know the saying "forgive and forget", well wouldn't that be great? Unfortunately our humanity doesn't allow us the
forget part. But there is freedom in letting go, unloading the burden. And if you're like me and you decide once in a while to pick it back up, all I can pray is that I get better at recognizing it, and quicker at laying it back down at His feet. If there is something that has left you bruised, raw, aching, I think this book has some really practical insight and it will bring you back to the One person who can heal your hurts. I know this is kinda deep and intense, and I don't mean to sound preachy. The only one I'm preaching at is myself. And if you're lucky enough to not relate to any of this, it will at the very least give you insight into the rest of us!
If you want to hear more about the author, go to this
website. Next to her picture, there will be a link for an audio clip that tells a little bit of her story. Have a tissue handy, you'll need it. The book is definitely geared toward people that have experienced sexual abuse, but I think it's really good even if your struggles are elsewhere.
There is a beautiful song that I love, it reminds me how much God can redeem, if we let Him.
He trades beauty for ashes,
Strength for fear,
Gladness for mourning,
Peace for despair.
When sorrow seems to surround you,
When suffering hangs heavy over your head,
Know that tomorrow brings wholeness and healing,
God knows your need, just believe what He said.
1 comment:
My dear cousin,
Thank you for your post. I often have to remind myself not to act on my pain but give it back to Him who can bear it. "Beauty for Ashes" is a song that I sung for years because it spoke to my heart in such a powerful way.
Love you!
Post a Comment