I meant for this to post on Earth Day, but I don't know what happened? So it's a little late... I love using "green"stuff when I can, and when it works. One thing that doesn't work is that ridiculous dishwasher soap! I think it's ironic that we can only get the phosphate-free stuff here, and other parts of WA I think, because it's Eco-friendly (you can go to http://www.treehugger.com/ to read about phosphates), but I have to use the hottest wash cycle, and inevitably hand wash dishes and silverware after they come out of the dishwasher because it doesn't do the job. So I'm using more energy, more water, more soap! Doesn't seem very earth concious to me. I know God created our planet and our bodies and we're supposed to do the best we can to take care of them, so I'm all for it when it makes sense. I think I just get a bit of an attitude when our society worries more about fish and trees than the lives of unborn babies. Don't even get me started. Okay, back to cleaning: here are a few of my favorite Eco-friendly cleaning tips that I think work great and are easy on the lungs and our cute little planet. There are TONS are resources on this kind of stuff, these are just a few ideas for everyday chores.Windows:
In a bucket, add 2 tsp white vinegar per quart of warm water, use a squeegee to clean outside windows (just not on a hot day or when sun in shining directly on them or it will streak). Saves on paper towels big time! You can use vinegar and water in a spray bottle for inside windows too.
Soft Scrub:
I make a paste out of baking soda and lemon juice to clean all sorts of things. And then I pop the lemon I used and some ice down the drain and give it a whirl to clean out the garbage disposal.
For showers:
Mix one part hydrogen peroxide with 2 parts water in a spray bottle, spray on moldy grout etc and let sit one hour before rinsing it off.
*Lemon, which I love in any way, shape or form, is actually a great bug-killer and is effective against most household bacteria, so squeeze away!
2 comments:
Yeah I definitely make my parents bring dishwashing detergent with them from Seattle when they come visit. I was finding myself using more energy to clean the dishes as well. The funny thing is people in Idaho can still use phosfates and they are upstream from us hmmmmmm...that is something to think about!
Do you need me to bring "contra-band" the next time I come up? I was thinking that we could buy a bunch of it, and sell it on the "black market) :)
Post a Comment