4.24.2010

Warming Up

About a month ago my friend D asked if I wanted to run a 1/2 marathon with her and some other buddies in May. I was beyond flattered that she thought I was capable of walking, let alone running that far - but I wouldn't be able to if my life depended on it. But it did get me thinking about exercise. Unfortunately I don't make it a priority, heck it doesn't even make it on the list. But it's time, I need to do something. I think I'm pretty active, but I hate intentional exercise so I have to trick myself into working out by pretending it's something fun. A few months after I had Dawson I signed up to do water aerobics at Whitworth a night or two a week. I love swimming, so what a great idea! Problem #1 was that I didn't own a one piece bathing suit, so there I was, 4 months post-partum in all my glory, in a bikini - not good. The second problem was I thought I loved swimming, but what I really love is to bob around the lake in my life jacket sipping on a cold drink. Or holding on to the kids' floaties and kicking them around, or diving into Aunt Julie's pool and then gliding over to the edge to drink some lemonade and eat a cookie. Apparently they were serious about the aerobics part, so it wasn't near as fun as I was hoping. So here I am, no real excuse not to be exercising at least once in a while. I promised myself I wouldn't work out until I was having regular quiet time, but now I have a time I can carve out for that too. It's still tricky trying to fit it in during the twins' naptime, but after Dawson and I get our time together, but while Ella is still in school, and after I have dinner figured out and the house work done and....But I stopped working out a month before I got prego with the twins, and haven't since so that's, let see....10, 11, 12... 19 months! Yikes! So I did it, I dusted off the ole treadmill and actually got on it, typically I just dust it off in the literal sense. I hate that thing, just staring at me, all dusty and judgemental. I only jogged about 2 miles and don't know when I'll do it again exactly, but that's okay, as long as I try. I am determined not to let my heart get all crusty and rusty before I get a chance to nibble on some grandbabies. Oh and Steph, for your information I didn't have licorice in the cup-holder this time, so there. And at least I'm not like your old neighbor that jogged with a diet Pepsi in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

No comments: