Todd and I were talking last night about the kids and how scary it is to know that they have their whole life ahead of them, and that they may or may not make good decisions. Aaron is helping the equation since we are 1:1 for our adult children turning out great. Being a parent is a huge responsibility, and we put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears trying to do a good job at it, yet there are no guarantees. But we were both saying that we think Ella is really close to truly understanding that she can have a personal relationship with God, that He can be just a part of her. So . . . this morning as I was getting dressed she started asking some questions, nothing really new, just things like "where does God live?" and "is He in the sky?" So we talked about it and then she said "Mom, can I ask Jesus into my heart?" It was such a sweet moment and my sentimentality got the best of me because I asked her if she wanted to wait until Daddy got home so he could pray with us. She said "I want to do it right now!" So who am I to argue with that? If the girl wants to pray, let her pray! She said "I don't know how to pray good, will you help me?" So we talked a little bit about that too - that praying is just talking to God, there isn't a wrong way or a right way to do it. So Dawson, Ella and I climbed up onto our bed, and she asked Jesus to come into her heart. I will remember that moment as long as I live. The bible says that the angels rejoice every time someone acknowledges and accepts God's gift of forgiveness and comes into a relationship with him. So our little Ella Grace had the angels of heaven rejoicing today. I know that as the years pass her understanding will grow, and her relationship with the Lord will solidify and deepen. That's all that really matters in this life, that one decision. When all is said and done, the stuff we have, the things we accomplish, the goals we achieve won't matter, and they certainly won't make a difference in light of eternity. Thank goodness for that, because if God worked on the merit system, I'd be in big trouble for sure.
6.19.2008
The Heart of the Matter
Todd and I were talking last night about the kids and how scary it is to know that they have their whole life ahead of them, and that they may or may not make good decisions. Aaron is helping the equation since we are 1:1 for our adult children turning out great. Being a parent is a huge responsibility, and we put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears trying to do a good job at it, yet there are no guarantees. But we were both saying that we think Ella is really close to truly understanding that she can have a personal relationship with God, that He can be just a part of her. So . . . this morning as I was getting dressed she started asking some questions, nothing really new, just things like "where does God live?" and "is He in the sky?" So we talked about it and then she said "Mom, can I ask Jesus into my heart?" It was such a sweet moment and my sentimentality got the best of me because I asked her if she wanted to wait until Daddy got home so he could pray with us. She said "I want to do it right now!" So who am I to argue with that? If the girl wants to pray, let her pray! She said "I don't know how to pray good, will you help me?" So we talked a little bit about that too - that praying is just talking to God, there isn't a wrong way or a right way to do it. So Dawson, Ella and I climbed up onto our bed, and she asked Jesus to come into her heart. I will remember that moment as long as I live. The bible says that the angels rejoice every time someone acknowledges and accepts God's gift of forgiveness and comes into a relationship with him. So our little Ella Grace had the angels of heaven rejoicing today. I know that as the years pass her understanding will grow, and her relationship with the Lord will solidify and deepen. That's all that really matters in this life, that one decision. When all is said and done, the stuff we have, the things we accomplish, the goals we achieve won't matter, and they certainly won't make a difference in light of eternity. Thank goodness for that, because if God worked on the merit system, I'd be in big trouble for sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i hope you print out and save this stuff for Ella to look at! i absolutely love moments like those!
Post a Comment