12.02.2009

Our 14th Anniversary!


Wow, fourteen years... We survived the 7 year itch, twice! What does that mean by the way - "7 year itch?" Is it because the sheets and towels you got for your wedding are so thread bare and worn out by the 7th year that you're itchy? Is it because that means you've seen the same face every morning and night for...well, what is 365 days times 7, and you're itching to get a new mate? Whatever it means, good or bad, we've made it through the 1st and 2nd rounds, and that must count for something. I'm sure there aren't a whole lot of people who would put up with me that long (parents don't count, they have to), so thanks Honey. I've spent very close to half of my life with you and it's been quite a ride.
Today was a crazy day (what day isn't?) so I don't have a bunch of "through the years" pictures posted, but if you care to go down memory lane with us, you can go to the archive list (on the right side of my blog) and Dec '08 has a slideshow under our anniversary post for last year.
I usually make whatever Todd wants for dinner and dessert on our actual anniversary, and then we eat it while the kids are in bed so we can actually enjoy it. We will try for a real date next week.
We have a couple of fun traditions that we do every year, the secret's out, I'm a sucker for sentimentality, traditions, reminiscing... So I'll let you in on a few.
*We always toast to another year and drink out of our toasting glasses from our wedding. Cheers, chink, chink!
*I light our unity candle for dinner-time romance (the kids can kinda put a damper on that part with the screaming and stuff).
* We watch the video of our wedding and reception.
*And the most famous anniversary tradition of all, I try on my wedding dress. Yes, that's right folks. There is nothing like getting a glimpse of that thing to remind me of exactly how long we have been married, let's just say fashions have changed a bit since then...

One thing I came across in our wedding memories box was the workbook we went through for pre-marital counseling. I just can't resist putting some of the questions and answers here, I got a kick out of some of them.

In Todd's workbook it asked him to list our differences:
Night vs. morning person
Emotional vs. logical
Socially outgoing vs. reserved
Dare devil vs. reserved
....I'll let you guess who is who

This question asked our immediate goals and some future ones, this is our joint answer:
Build a house
Buy another horse and trailer
Buy a lake cabin
Get a boat
Spend more time with Aaron
Go to Disneyland
Get more involved at church

Todd cracks me up, one question asked "what can you do to help your parents and in-laws get more meaning out of life?" He answered: this is a corny question

Another one asked about any recent disputes between us and it asked how your partner reacted, he answered: "she was snotty." I LOVE IT!! Snotty...what a great word.

Okay, here's the last one. It's asking about household chores and asks who should be responsible for them. Keep in mind that at the time I was working full-time and started nursing school soon after. My book said I thought I'd do the majority of the cooking, cleaning, laundry etc and I wrote down 75/25%, me taking on the majority. Todd's book said he thought it should be 50/50. Now that is funny. I think I'll keep the book open to this page and see if he notices what he used to think about chores...

No comments: